When done properly, strength training is one of the best ways to build lean muscle.
If you’re ready to strengthen your upper body and master another move at the gym, continue reading to learn how to do a Smith Machine upright row.
How to Do a Smith Machine Upright Row
- Adjust the bar of the Smith Machine so that it’s at the middle of your thighs.
- Start with a loaded bar; five-pound plates on each side is a great starting point. Beginners should start with just the bar and gradually add weight as they become familiar with the movement.
- Position your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart on the bar, and lightly grip the bar with an overhand grip.
- Unlock the bar by lifting it up off the rack. Next, lower the bar so that your arms are fully extended.
- With a slight bend in your knees, brace your core. Leading with your elbows, pull the bar straight up to your chest. With control, lower it back down to the starting position. That’s one rep.
- Complete three sets of 10 reps.